Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Career Fad?

MBA? I must admit that I find myself to be affected by this….. CAT’2007 (For the uninitiated CAT stands for Common Aptitude Test administered by the IIMs), a staggering 2, 50,000+ applicants took the test. This makes me wonder as to why has MBA become such a prime career alternative. I still remember the days when as a child, I used to admire my cousin bhaiyas n didis….. For being a fresh doctor or an engineer and being so praiseworthy, I used to treat them as paragons. We still admire them but may be not as we used to, the reason might be attributed to the fact that India now produces more than 60,000 engineers a year, with Karnataka alone contributing at least half of that figure. Why so? May be we are in need of more technicians as the economy is rising or may be because the quality is going down. Quality or Quantity, a million dollar question? One can easily get admission to an engineering college if Big Daddy can afford a few lacs of rupees.
Currently, I am working in the services and consultancy sector. I find many of my contemporaries to be very disinterested and I don’t find this to be a healthy phenomenon. The Indian economy is growing like it has never before, but still…. I am really not able to comprehend. What puzzles me the most is the “taken for granted” attitude toward what one possesses? What we don’t realize is the fact that what we have today is what we had dreamt yesterday. I asked one of my friends as to why an MBA, he told me he has more interest towards the business,strategy, etc. rather than technical intricacies. But if that is so why engineering? But, one of my more honest friends quoted…. “The Buck Stops Here”, rightly said I believe. One definite fact is that MBA does make you the most competitive blend in the industry and that’s a rare one I must say. But, does that justify the 2.5 lac aspirant figure?
Seems to be a paradox, but that’s how it is…. As very well said by a learned man “You cannot make money doing the work you don’t love”…. Does it mean that love=money or money=love, both the equations are definitely not the same . This is where our self analysis comes to play. Think Think Think............

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS NOT A FAD………

No comments: